The Great Sheffield Flood walk is designed to help those who intend following the path of the Great Sheffield Flood of 1864 down the Dale Dyke Beck, which forms the source of the River Loxley at Low Bradfield, onwards down the Loxley Valley before joining the River Don near Hillfoot Bridge. Also items of local history and remains of the devastation are included along the route for your interest. This is a linear walk. The 61 and 62 buses connect High and Low Bradfield with Hillsborough.
This walk is sponsored by The Old Horns Inn, High Bradfield
- Length 8.9 miles from the car park or bus stop
- Grade – A long walk with some sections on roads. There are stiles and some uneven ground. The paths are well defined. This is a linear walk. The 61 and 62 bus services link Low Bradfield and Hillsborough.
- Start – Dale Dyke reservoir entrance, Dale Road, 0.6 miles west of Low Bradfield
- Grid Reference SK 245 920
- Parking – Low Bradfield, or Hillsborough.
- Public transport – Buses 61 and 62 from Hillsborough Interchange, stop at the turning circle on Fair House Lane, , Low Bradfield.
- Refreshments – The Postcard café,The Plough Inn, Low Bradfield; Varoius cafes in Hillsborough
- Public Toilets – Low Bradfield and Hillsborough.
Download the walk information.
Map for the Great Sheffield Flood walk
Mobile Phone Coverage – Mobile phone signal coverage is mostly good in this area. Intermittent signals can be received on higher ground.
Ordnance Survey map OL1 Dark Peak is recommended for all the routes on this web site.
Great care has been taken to ensure that the information on this web site and associated documents is accurate. However, we accept no liability for any claim, loss, damage or injury (howsoever arising) incurred by those using the information provided. Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Bradfield Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use. Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright – Bradfield Walkers are Welcome 2021