The Dukes Road circular walk combines historic villages, ancient routes, fields and open moorland. The route from Low Bradfield climbs through fields to High Bradfield. The route passes the church and Bailey hill, goes through a wood before it crosses more open land. The route follows the old Dukes Road onto the moors to Back Tor with views across the Dark Peak area including Kinder and Bleaklow. The route then drops down Foulstone Road before returning to Low Bradfield by the side of Dale Dike Reservoir.
This walk is sponsored by The Strines Inn.
- Length 12.5 miles
- Time – 6 hours
- Grade – Gentle ascents, some rough ground, can be boggy in place. Exposed to the elements on the moor. Most paths are well defined.
- Start – Car park /bus stop, The Sands, Low Bradfield
- Parking – Public car park, The Sands, Low Bradfield
- Public transport – 61 / 62 bus stops at Fair House Lane / Smithy Bridge Road, Low Bradfield.
- Refreshments – Old Horns Inn, High Bradfield & Postcard Café, Low Bradfield.
- Public Toilets – Low Bradfield.
- Grid Reference – SK 2626 9204
Download the Dukes Road walk information
Bradfield Walkers are Welcome routes can be found as recommended routes on the OS Maps App for mobile phones , tablets and pc.
Map of the route
Mobile Phone Coverage – Mobile phone signal coverage is mostly good in this area. Intermittent signals can be received on higher ground.
Ordnance Survey map OL1 Dark Peak is recommended for all the routes on this web site.
Great care has been taken to ensure that the information on this web site and associated documents is accurate. However, we accept no liability for any claim, loss, damage or injury (howsoever arising) incurred by those using the information provided. Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Bradfield Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use. Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright – Bradfield Walkers are Welcome 2023