This walk is distributed in association with Sheffield Lakeland Landscape Partnership
This inclusive riverside valley route, which is accessible to wheelchair users and buggies, passes through woods along the banks of the River Loxley, along quiet back lanes past old cottages, and then along a path between dry stone walls and hedgerows, with views of fields and the wooded hillside. Two-thirds of the route is off-road; the path is generally flat with some gentle slopes.
The route was opened by Councillor David Blunkett, Leader of Sheffield City Council on 14th.July 1985.
- Length – 2 miles (3.2 km) in total (outwards and return)
- Time – 40 minutes (at 20 minutes per mile)
- Start – Rowell Lane S6 6SH (opposite Rowell Bridge Water Pumping Station)
- Grid Reference SK 299 896
- Parking – small car park alongside Rowell Lane adjacent to the start of the route.
- Public transport – bus route 61 from Hillsborough Interchange stops on Loxley Road (B6077) just past the top of Rowell Lane, 1/3 mile / ½ km from the entrance to the route. There is a pavement all the way along Rowell Lane and a dropped kerb opposite the route entrance.
Bus route 62 returns to Hillsborough Interchange from the stop on the opposite side of Loxley Road. There are dropped kerbs to cross the road.
- Accessible Refreshments –
- The Admiral Rodney, 0.6 mile / 1 km away: 592 Loxley Road, S6 6RU
- The Gardeners Rest Café, 0.6 mile / 1 km away: Loxley Nurseries, Long Lane, S6 6RL
- The Kafe Stannington, 1 mile / 1.6 km away: Stannington Park, Uppergate Road, S6 6BX
- Accessible Toilets – the Kafe Stannington, the Gardeners Rest Café and the Admiral Rodney.
- Seating – There are two benches at 200 m intervals along the first 350 m of the route, but no benches beyond.
Download the walk information.
Map of the walk route
Mobile Phone Coverage – Mobile phone signal coverage is mostly good in this area. Intermittent signals can be received on higher ground.
Ordnance Survey map OL1 Dark Peak is recommended for all the walks on this web site.
Great care has been taken to ensure that the information on this web site and associated documents is accurate. However, we accept no liability for any claim, loss, damage or injury (howsoever arising) incurred by those using the information provided. Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Bradfield Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use. Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright – Bradfield Walkers are Welcome 2020